Thursday, January 6, 2011

Putting Food on the Table ~ day 6

Today we let the kids play hooky. They went out ice fishing with Maine Man.
Country Boy's first Pike (5 lbs)
And a 1 lb Brook Trout

They waited for me to get home and see the fish before they cut them up.


Some people take their kids out of school to go on elaborate vacations. We let ours skip out for an occasional hunting and/or fishing trip because MM often works the weekend.


To make myself feel guilt-free I consider it a Homeschool Day;)
Subjects covered today: Science, Phys.Ed, Math, and Home Ec
Can you guess what we are eating tonight?
In my next life I plan to be an independently wealthy, homeschooling, stay-at-home Momma. (with a Nanny for respite ;)
For now I will just be thankful that I only have to work part-time. And although we do not technically homeschool I can find comfort in all the ways we supplement our children's education.

10 comments:

Prairie Mother said...

I think it's awesome that you let your kids play hooky for things like this! There are plenty of things to learn outside of a classroom. Hope dinner was great!

Ali said...

I think you are making good decisions about what's important in life, and spending time like that with their dad is way more important than a whole lot of things that I learnt in school.

And what fabulous fish! Lol when we go fishing all we get are teeny tiny bream that we have to throw back in :)

doglady said...

Your kids learned more in one day of fishing,cleaning, cooking and eating than they would learn in a whole week of public school. Power to you. I would love to see the look on the principals face when he/she reads your excuse note.

Travis said...

Love your blog! I'm a fellow Mainah, and am always working to improve my self-reliance and self-sufficiency, and I say job well done for giving your kids the opportunity to learn very important lessons/skills that school just can't teach! Keep up the great work, and the great blog!

Anonymous said...

Yummy! I was home-schooled from 4th grade to 11th grade.

Amy

Joanna@BooneDocksWilcox said...

sure, I think it's important to have all those wonderful childhood memories as we grow older.

Tea Rose said...

I just recently discovered your blog and am a complete junky now! LOL

I am a homeschool mama of 3 girls and we are buying our first farm this month. I can't wait to see my kids as awesomely self reliant as your kiddos appear to be.

Love your blog....wish you lived in my state - I am feeling a definite lack of awesome farm girl friends out here in my area.

Country Girl said...

THANKS for all the WONDERFUL feedback. Love reading all you comments!

FairyLover said...

What a great way to learn. I think all schools should have allowances for Family Time in their schedules.

Kathi Still trying to figure out science for my 3rd grader.

marilene Richardson said...

I think our boys would enjoy reading about each others lives. Mine loves fishing and actually told me "Mama, from now on, I'm gonna put the fish on your plate."

We homeschool so we too take our kids away to do cool stuff like fishing, squid jigging and the likes.:-)

Marilene@songcroft.com