Sunday, January 2, 2011

Muscovies - day 2


When we first bought Muscovies the intention was for meat and eggs. As everything here on our small farm, it must serve a purpose. Well.....we came to liking them and they became a novelty around the farm. We occasionally sell some to a friend that takes them to market and bring others to auction. Maine Man just really hates killing them and our freezers have been well stocked. We have only eaten one and honestly it was the best duck we've ever had! One word to describe what they taste like is roast beef. Any how we are couple months into winter here and we have too darn many of them! In the summer even if we have a bunch they are mostly at the pond but this time of year they are in the barn and the door yard. A little too much poo for my liking. Yesterday when I pulled in the yard between the ducks & the chickens I thought for sure I was at a freakin zoo. So today MM is doing the deed along with his 8 year old daughter as I hide inside doing chores and preparing lunch. Not a good day to be a duck on the farm.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

We butchered some of our Muscovies one year. My parent's and myself are pretty much vegetarians now though.

Amy

Bookncoffee said...

Well I hate it for the ducks. But I know it must be some good eating. We on the other hand will be getting some duck from Kroger before long, a grocery store chain. It will come frozen and we'll find a fancy recipe and we will enjoy it so much while our teen, who has not grown up with duck, will shun us for the evening! lol

Ali said...

YUM! Lol, they look delicious! It must be hard to kill them, but they are happy ducks and like you said, serve a purpose. Bon Appetit!

Mare said...

I love eating duck, and admire that the ducks on your farm and so loved and taken care of. I bet that makes them taste so much better!

Al said...

Same deal here, if it calls this little place home, then it must do it's part. There are certain animals that are harder to butcher than others though, so I do feel your pain.

Marie said...

Hey, we just got done butchering three Muscovies and I'm on here looking for a better/faster way to do it. We've got at least 20 more to do... Did you use your barrel plucker on yours? We're in the process of building one, well, more in the process of planning to build one. Those pesky pinfeathers are a pain, especially since our ducks are black, you can get away a lot easier with a white duck or chicken. Any advice is much appreciated!