Sunday, April 27, 2008

Tidbits from the weekend


We found these jaw bones among others in the garden over the weekend. I'd say the larger may be a cow? The bottom one could be too but it is smaller and definitely shaped differently. I'd love to get a little history on this place, I have heard at one point it was a dairy farm and also heard sheep...I need to find out the scoop.
John took the kids fishing Friday night and we all went on Saturday morning. I didn't fish, just played with my camera and enjoyed the view.


This week we played veterinarian...something we like to do! We have been doing prior to raising farm animals. I never throw any people medications away because you never know when they'll come in handy! We gave the goats wormer and had their first shots.
CD&T guards against Tetanus & Enterotomema, aka as Overeating disease. I need to give another dose (2cc subcutaneous) in 3-4 weeks then annually.
The next thing I need to learn about is trimming their hooves, I plan to buy some good hoof trimmers this week. I watched a couple videos this week and I may ask my breeder if I can go out and observe her.














































4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the cartoon!

What a terrific blog! Now I'll have to read more. My morning plans will be on hold for at least the next hour while I explore your site!

Neat!

Blessings!
Lacy

Anonymous said...

Love the cartoon also:) Looks like you found some pretty neat stuff. I bet there is a world of history at that farm being as its over 100 years old. It would be interesting finding out about it. Good luck on the search into the past!

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim!

Oh yes! Goats milk soap is pure heaven. Let me know, and I'll email you my favorite goat's milk soap recipes. They are tried and true.

Blessings!
Lacy

Amy said...

What an interesting find. My first thought was "sheep" when I saw the bones. It's hard to tell how big they are though. That cartoon is cute (and probably truer than you think).