Thursday, December 18, 2008

It's the simple things in life that make you smile

A flock of wild turkeys in the back field


McCain in nice little packages.
My daughter's wish box from school.



I almost shed a tear.
I often remind the kids how lucky we are.


My boy's homemade birthday card to his best friend.

I asked him what he wanted to buy for him and he said, "snowpants, he doesn't have any and he will need some or he won't be able to play on the play ground." (Pretty thoughtful for an 8 year old) That is just what we bought him along with an animal book and matching winter hats (that was their favorite gift). We even baked him a cake and then we went skating.......


These picks are from 2 weeks ago when it was just the kids and I. One of my friends just happened to be there for a birthday party, she took a few shots of us. It was the first time the kids ever ice skated inside. For the last 2 years we have skated on the pond but it is not the same. I saw a big difference in their skating, especially Leah. The first time there she did not want to let go of my hand. Last Sunday she was skating with a chair and buzzing around the rink like a pro skater (minus the chair). She looked up at me and said, "ok Mom, you can go now." I said "what, like skate away from you". She said "yeah, let me skate alone". Little shit, 6 years old and she's shooing her Momma away. The teenage years should be INTERESTING!

I went skating often as a child. Skating was one of my fondest childhood memories. I went to both indoor arenas and an outdoor arena on "Sand Hill". (only the locals know where that is) When I was young it was purely for fun and play and as I got older it was to see the boys. :)
I remember longing to be a figure skater when I grew up. I guess it's a good thing I moved on to wanting to be a nurse because I am not that gracious.


On a final note. ALL my wrapping is DONE!!!!!!! Celebration....I locked myself in the wood stove room with beer and a radio last night. Now we have the weekend to bake, make crafts, listen to Christmas music and ENJOY!
Yeeeee HA, can you tell I am excited?

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aaaaaaawwwwhhhhhhhhh! I love this family post, Kim! Neat images, too! The hand-made birthday card is so neat!

Holiday Greetings to you and your family!

Amy said...

What a heartwarming post. Your kids sound like wonderful human beans. I love it when children put others ahead of themselves.

I grew up skating on the pond that goes halfway around our house. It was like our own private kidney-shaped skating rink. We had skating parties and played hockey. What memories! I still love to ice skate although I'm not as fearless as I once was.

Throwback at Trapper Creek said...

I love this post! Your kids are the sweetest just like Mom and Dad huh??

The pig looks kinda cute too! hehe

Freak Magnet said...

Wow - serious wild turkeys! Looks like Christmas dinner to me! :)

I would love to ice skate - i certainly have the ankles for it. I took intensive ballet lessons for 13 years! I just haven't ever skated. I should do that! :)

Anonymous said...

Nothing better than food in the freezer and food in the field!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I love this post. Great to catch up with you and your wonderfully thoughtful kids. Great stuff!! Enjoy the holiday fun Kim! :)

Anonymous said...

How cute and thoughtful and how fun, haven't been ice skating in years!

GreyWolf said...

A very touching post. Your family is the greatest.
Hooray for McCain, he did his job well.
Is wild turkey on the Xmas menu?

Jennifer said...

Great post! What nice family pictures. Wow, look at all those turkeys! I never saw so many in one place.

Country Chick said...

Enjoy your holiday Kim! Really cute post!

Leasmom said...

Wow...thats what you got from that one turkey? MY GOODNESS!!!

Hey, you're family is beatiful!

Don said...

Christmas is for family time! You all look so happy and good together.

McCain has done a good job getting big and fat. Now we want to see and hear how he tastes!!

Would you do pigs again?

Country Girl said...

Thanks CR. We are big into homemade cards. The store ones are too darn expensive and not very individualized.
Holiday Greetings to you as well!

Amy, thanks. They are wonderful ...most days : 0
I did some pond skating growing up too and we are fortunate to have them now. Sounds like you had some great skating memories too. I think Santa is bringing L&L some hockey sticks and pucks and as they get older and more into in we will do that stuff here too.

Nita, thanks. They are nice looking piggies. I don't have to worry about being bit any longer now I get to bite into them.

FM & Warren, Yeah if it was turkey season we would have had one.

FM, thanks...you enjoy the holiday too. Your kids are at a fun age.

Amy, It had been quite a lapse for me too until a couple years ago when my kids started skating.

Country Girl said...

GW, No it is not :( but I do have one we raised left in the freezer but my Mom wants ham.

SPH, I too was amazed at how many of them.

Thanks Janine, Happy holidays!

PF, Not one turkey, that's our pig.

Don, John tried some sausage this morning and he liked it. I would do pigs again for sure but maybe not as many at once.

Ed said...

Cool pics and story, sounds like you have some great kids. I'm looking forward to seeing what ya come up with for the Sunday Challenge...Later, Ed

Farmchick said...

Well that is sweet! Love the way you finished the wrapping....I may have to try your method!! lol

Mare said...

What beautiful, thoughtful children you have...Merry Christmas to You and Yours!
(I cannot skate to save my life! ;)

Morgan said...

That sounds like fun!:)

Ali said...

Well, hope the pretzel treats worked out for you! They've been very popular with all the recipients down here.

Obama and McCain, eh? Were they both male pigs? And if yes did you castrate them In the future you might have fewer problems if you do....

And finally, belated happy birthday! I am certain you will LOVE your mixer. I use mine at least weekly if not more often. If you want some sourdough starter, let me know. I have a good one going and I'd be happy to share it with you, we could meet up in W-ville sometime. I have a great sourdough english muffin recipe, they are easy and delish.

Ali

Country Girl said...

ED, THANKS. I'M LATE AGAIN SENDING MY PICS IN.

FC, I AM SO THANKFULL I'M DONE WRAPPING. I HATE WAITING UNTIL THE LAST MINUTE.

MARE, THANKS. MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU AND YOUR FAMILY AS WELL.

COWGIRL, IT WAS FUN MAYBE WE CAN ALL GO TOGETHER SOMETIME.

ALI, NO THEY WERE ACTUALLY FEMALES. THEY JUST GOT THEIR NAMES BECAUSE WE HAD THEM DURING ELECTION TIME AND THEIR COLORS.
FUNNY YOU MENTION THE SOUR DOUGH MIX. I JUST BOUGHT A STARTER AT THE NATURAL FOOD STORE.

citygirl said...

It is easy to feel grateful when you have such thoughtful kids huh?

We are such soul twins! You sparked a couple of childhood memories for me as well! I spent many countless hours on the frozen flooded back yard with Olympic Fantasies...

My mom told me recently (and I had forgotten all about it) that I often came home from school without my mittens...she would ask "where are your mittens?" to which I apparently replied "I gave them to so-and-so he/she didn't have any and besides you can make me another pair, Mom"

Have a wonderful Christmas my friend!

Anonymous said...

But you are gracious, Kim... maybe not graceful at times -- on the ice, that is. We always had fun pond skating, esp. behind St. Theresa's, on the bog on the other side of the railroad tracks. Joey.