Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Ugggg, more goat problems! Smores has stones! I'm think it is from his feed although we cut back after the last bad experience. Whethers (fixed males) are also more likely to get them. I have changed his grain to meat goat grain as recommended by the Vet and he is to get 1/4 cup a day total along with unlimited hay.
John told me so, "don't get another whether" and I didn't listen. I always learn the hard way. I was impulsive and wanted to mend my boys heart asap buying a replacement for Oreo. Thankfully after our previous goat experience I recognized the problem and he was treated immediately.


Bob and his girls are now keeping house in the barn. Their sweet little Momma opens the barn door at noon every day and sets them free for an afternoon of free ranging.
They do not always return to their laying boxes when their free ranging, so there is no getting out of jail until they pay their dues.

UPDATES:

Barn Animals: (We have downsized for the winter) We are down to 2 goats, 4 pigs (ones the neighboors), 32 layers, 1 duck

Garden: I have 4 turnips left to pull and John planted 3 types of garlic.

Kitchen: I have been doing lots of cooking with some of my favorites being : blueberry zest, turkey stew, and blueberry pound cake. John is really loving my cooking too. How does that old saying go? "The way to a man's heart is through his stomach." Right, well I can think of another body part but we'll save that for another time!

I am in love with my stocked freezers, our root vegetables, and my canned goodies. I hope to get a pressure canner by next summer and plan to put up even more food next season. I learned lots this year by trial and error and from my fellow bloggers.


Weather: We have had lots of rain here in Maine over the last couple weeks. Today we had SNOW flurries intermittently! The wood stove had some rest for a couple days only:(
We MUST clean the chimney this week!

Gas prices: We are at $2.20 in our small town. I am sure we will be back up near $5.00 again by next summer, they are just playing us.

Pajama Tale - I have never believed much in Pj's although they are my FAVORITE attire! (Ok, except for baby PJ's, I couldn't resist those!) To me it is not necessary to go out and spend a fortune on "LL Bean" PJ's for the entire family.
Yoga pants, sweats, t-shirts/sweatshirts, WHATEVER's comfy! I usually buy the kids some Pj's for their b-day and Christmas but that's about it. Luke says to me tonight "You know, the kids at school do not do what we do for pj's. " I say "what do they do, wear only bought pajamas? He says, "yes". I asked him if that made him feel bad that we were different and he said "no". Then I proceed to say "We are not like other people, and that is ok, we lead our own path."
Then I asked him if he were to have to choose to have more pajamas, more toys/games with a Mom & Dad that worked more or would he rather have less and make due with a Mom and Dad that was home lots and he choose the life we live. He's my boy!

16 comments:

Country Girl said...

I APOLOGIZE FOR THE BOX AT THE BOTTOM. BLOGGER WON'T LET ME EDIT. I HATE IT WHEN THAT HAPPENS....OH WELL!

Amy said...

I hope Smores is OK. Lord knows you've been thru enough with goats lately. I agree with you about gas prices, so I'm not letting myself get excited about it. I fill up every time I'm in town, whether or not I need it.

You two are excellent parents. Great exchange with Luke, way to go mom!

GreyWolf said...

Good luck with Smores, hope he recovers soon. Can't wait to read the future blog about that other body part ;)
We have been lucky with our 22 free ranging hens using the nest boxes so far. ( I will probably regret saying that;)
And sweats are cheaper than PJ's and more usefull too.
Yesteray I purchased gas for $1.91 and I haven't seen that price in so long, but like you I know it won't stay around either.

RazorFamilyFarms.com said...

Poor Smores! I hope he feels better very soon. How wonderful that you were able to recognize the signs in time!

Blessings!
Lacy

Anonymous said...

Bob and his girls...Hilarious!

Glad you have such wise kids...besides, pjs are overrated...get an extra blanket!

Anonymous said...

Ha!! Loved your comment on cooking as way to a mans...anyway, I'd have more to say about it but I know my dad is here sooo......

Anonymous said...

Kim,

We feed a special feed for our wethers and bucks here though. It's Dumor goat feed from TSC that has ammonium chloride in it which helps prevent stones though but some of our bucks and wethers we don't give them any treats or grain except their hay and knock on wood we haven't experienced stones here yet!

Amy

YD, sometimes with ♥June and ♥Angel Samantha said...

Hope Smores gets better soon.

I agree with you on PJ's. It's whatever that makes you comfortable.

Also agree on your comment "The way to a man's heart is through his stomach." I often wonder what some men see in their wives who don't cook at all.

Danni said...

That's a great picture of S'mores...poor little guy. Speedy recovery to him!
Your Bob is magnificent! WOW!
Gas in our small town has gotten down to $2.27....I agree that it won't stay this way!
Yay - we can share garlic growin' stories! I'm very excited, garlic is one of my favorite things. I know you didn't feel successful with the braiding, but maybe we can practice together! What three varieties did you plant?

That was a cute story about the pjs. My boys grew up sleeping in conference and trade show t-shirts that their dad would come home with! (except for those precious footed, fuzzy jammies...they had those until they were, like 5!) :-)

Don said...

What is up with gas prices? It is $1.98 around here right now, and has been steadily going down. I agree, it will go back up as soon as we all feel more comfortable with the economy. I wish I could buy a couple thousand gallons at these"cheap" prices and store it!

Your kids realize what goodness they have, and it helps that you include them in the discussion so they feel a part of the family wisdom.

I wanna braid garlic!!

maine momma of 3 (formally: stayathomemommy from maine) said...

I hope Smores gets well soon!

You have one great kid! PJ's are PJ's... as long as your comfy that's all that matters! Must be the good maine raising that taught us LLbean is great but it isn't everything!

Danni said...

What say you, country girl, shall we invite Don to braid with us next fall? :-)

Paula said...

Poor little Smores- hope he feels better soon.

Country Girl said...

Amy, me too. We are learning stuff the hard and expensive way.

Grey wolf, thanks! A post about that other part would be a good one but not sure if I could make it politicly correct. You are lucky with your hens. Lastime I thought I'd be nice and let them free range for the day they left me 4 eggs. I was not impressed so now they stay in confinement until they give me what I need.

Thanks Lacy, you always have kind words!

Warren, the kids named him "Bob".
I need the extra blanket and PJ's, I am always cold!

Farm Mom, yes you must behave although it is NO FUN!!

Amy, I should have swapped food the first time but did not. The grain I was giving him does have the amonia chloride but I think I was overfeeding him still. He will be getting strictly 1/4 cup per day now.

YD's, I can't even imagine if John didn't cook let alone a woman.

Farmgirl, thanks! I can not remember the kinds of garlic but I'll get back to you on that. John wrote them on posts and stuck them in the ground. I need to write it in my farm book in case. One kind I bought at the grocery store and the other 2 were from a lady that works at Johnny's. She was selling garlic at a grange hall sale.
Yes we will all get together and have a braiding party! I'll bring the beer!

S@HMFM - I do love LL Bean! Don't get me wrong. But I do pick and choose the products I buy there. Backpacks, well worth it. Footwear yes! But not stuff the kids will grow out in no time.

Thanks Farm chick!

goatgirl said...

Take my advice with a grain of salt. Wethers don't need grain. Grain should only be for milkers. If I were you I would cut out the grain entirely. Hay and browse is all they need.
I'm glad you caught it in time.

Morgan said...

To bad for the goat hope he gets better. :-)