Saturday, November 29, 2008

No Sew Blankets


Isn't she sweet? My niece turned 1 last week and Luke and I made her a "no sew" blanket.
Good thing it did not require sewing because my friend Mary has had my sewing machine for the last 8 years or so because of my lack of patience to operate the darn thing. I know where it is if I ever develop any patience (highly unlikely). I made the kids a bigger version of these blankets 2 years ago and they may be getting a couple new ones shortly but we will keep that hush, hush for now. I learned how to do this from my c0-worker Pam and to refresh my memory this time around I did a Google search and there are a couple good sites with pictures.

Supplies needed:

~2 pieces of fleece, one plain colored and the other with a pattern
(2 yards of each)

~ good pair of scissors - I bought some new ones and they are now in hiding from the kids

~ 4" square cut out of cardboard

You will need a big area to work. The above blanket is only made out of 1 yard because she is just a little tike so I was able to make it on the table but the 2 yard blankets I make on the floor.


Step 1 : Lay fabric out wrong sides facing together.

Step 2 : Using the cardboard as a measuring tool cut a 4" square out of all 4 corners.


Step 3: Pick a side to start with. Fold back material to that 4 " depth and go down sides cutting 1" strips (I just eyeball it, this blanket is very forgiving). I cut all 4 sides before knotting.


Even the kitties love these blankets!


Get the idea?



WARNING: Injuries may occur in the making of this blanket!
See those band aids on my boys thumb? Fleece burn from knotting.

Step 4: Start knotting the 1" strips.



There you have it!
1 no-sew blanket. Total cost $9.50
Everyone loves them, GREAT GIFT for ALL AGES!!

P.S. I am way behind on comments I will catch up shortly I promise!
Upcoming post on wreath making.

6 comments:

Erica said...

What a sweet-heart!

I've made the no sew blankets for all of my boys! They love them and they have held up so well over the years. I agree on the injuries haha, my fingers get cramped up when I do the larger sized ones!

Danni said...

What a great project! I love the Tinkerbell blanket - I'll bet your niece did, too :-)

Don said...

We have some of those hanging around too. I love the cozy fabric on cold winter nights.

Anonymous said...

How fun and nice!

Country Girl said...

ERICA, YES WE THINKS SHE IS SOME SPECIAL. THEY DO HOLD UP GOOD.

TY FG

DON, THEY ARE NICE AND WARM!

AMY, WE DID HAVE FUN PUTTING IT TOGETHER. IT IS FUN TO DO STUFF LIKE THIS WITH THE KIDS.

Robbyn said...

I saw this once...what a great project. And a handsome helper! Wonderful, Kim :)