Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Grape Nut Pudding

Going into my third year of blogging I have been thinking about what a resource it has become. One thing that I often do is refer back to favorite recipes to create once again. I never post recipes that are not worthy of cooking again! This is a quick and easy dish that I have dug out of my archives many times before. It is especially popular with older folks. This weekend I made it for the farmer & his wife. The kids and I also brought them down a crock filled with a boiled ham dinner. Can't wait to hear how they liked the custard.

-1 cup grape-nut cereal

-1 quart of milk (4 cups)

-4 eggs

-1/2 cup sugar

-1 tablespoon vanilla extract

-1/4 teaspoon fine salt

-grated nutmeg


1) Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 2 qt glass loaf pan with 1 teaspoon of butter and set aside. Put cereal into a bowl and set aside.

2) Bring milk to boil over medium heat. Pour onto cereal and let it soak for 5 minutes.

3) Beat together eggs, sugar, vanilla, and salt into large bowl. Slowly pour egg mixture into milk mixture while whisking constantly. Transfer into reserved pan, set in a deep roasting pan. Pour enough hot water in roasting pan that it reaches half way up glass loaf pan.

4) Bake until just set approx 1 1/4 hours. Let cool then sprinkle with grated nutmeg


I first posted this recipe in June 08' on at the bottom of my post titled Farm Tour

Now I have two questions for some of my readers.

#1 Any advice on food photography? I took thousands of pictures this past year and as I downloaded my files I notice that the pictures I took of food were the ones I struggled most with.

#2 Has anyone ever downloaded their blog archives into a book? If so who did you go through? After a couple years of writing of our beginning farming adventures I would be devastated if I ever lost this. Not only will this be a keepsake for my children but I have lots of recipes and how to posts that I refer to often.

6 comments:

Mama of 4 Blessings said...

Sounds good! Ol' Buck loves him some grapnuts, might have to give it a try;) Thanks for sharing
and I hope you all are thawing out some:)

Joanna@BooneDocksWilcox said...

grape nut pudding, hmmm, and it's good huh? maybe I'll try it, thx.

Kelly said...

I didn't even know that they still have Grape Nuts. I ate it as a child. This really sound good. I will have to try it. If you find out about the book info please let me know. I think that is a great idea.
Kelly

Rabbit Hill Farm said...

My mother made Grape nut pudding all the time. It was a regular staple when I was growing up. I also struggle with photgraphing food. One thing that I often do is turn off the flash. Seems to give the food a bit more depth.

Sarah said...

I'd like to try the Grape Nut pudding, but not sure I could talk my hubby into it. I'm intriuged though.
As for food photography, I've found I get the best food pictures if I turn my flash off. This makes it a little more work, as you have to find a way to hold really still so you won't blur the pic, but natural light works wonders on food pictures. Sit it in the sunlight somewhere, brace your elbos on the counter, take a deep breath, and snap away.

Anonymous said...

A friend of mine had her blogspot made into a book. Here's the site she used.

www.blog2print.com