Sunday, May 16, 2010

Nothing like the smell of Lilacs

I have no doubt the kids will have flashbacks of their childhood when they catch wind of a lilac in their adult life. Since they were born I have filled the house with vases and jars stuffed full of these aesthetically pleasing blossoms. Just wish they lasted longer! The season of fresh flowers starts here with daffodils and ends with sunflowers. Nothing like a bouquet of fresh flowers adorning your kitchen table or better yet when you gift some to an elderly couple.

My brother says I've been a bad blogger lately but I try. It's really is not about the lack to topics but yet the lack of time. My goal is to post weekly which I seem to pull off even if they are sometimes brief. Short and sweet is ok, right? I have TONS of pictures and stories to tell....they will come with time. Well it is 7:30 now and I am getting ready to attack a sink full of dishes, make some banana bread, and can some rhubarb for the first time ever. I will let you know how that comes out. Last night I made some blueberry rhubarb jam. It was my first time making jam and the consistency was a little runnier then I expected. Instead of messing with it any further I resised to using it as compote on ice cream, crepes, or angel food cake. I would like any advice any jam makers have on that issue. This week I plan to make up some salsa so I am looking for a recipe if anyone has one posted and is willing share the link here.
Blessed Week to you all!


14 comments:

small farm girl said...

I just love lilacs! Your right, they smell wonderful. I think everyone is busy this time of year.

Sheryl at Providence North said...

You can fix the jam. Just pour it all into a big pot, bring to a boil and add more pectin (Certo). Recan.

I just love the lilacs too and they have just started blooming here! I am going to collect a glalon of blooms and buds tomorrow to make lilac wine.

Anonymous said...

Check out the Harvest forum at GardenWeb, http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/harvest/ That forum is an amazing resource of collective food preservation knowledge. I also recommend using Pomona pectin, which I believe you can get at Uncle Dean's.

Ali

Bryce & Noreen said...

Here's a salsa recipe from a fellow blogger in Dothan, AL

http://www.jennandtay.blogspot.com/

I'll be trying it this week myself!

The Milk Maid said...

Lilacs are my favorite and I too wish they lasted longer, I love when you walk outside and that is all you can smell. Ours though didn't do well this year. The warm weather brought them out early and I think they just got frosted too many times. Half of them on all the trees were dead.

RazorFamilyFarms.com said...

Lilacs top my list of favorite things. I mean it! We can't grow them down here because we don't have a cold enough/long enough winter and I miss them so much! There's a massive lilac hedge in my hometown that folks visit like it's Mecca every spring to see and smell the lilacs. Oh how I miss that!

YD, sometimes with ♥June and ♥Angel Samantha said...

Welcome to jam making! I love making jam. My very first batch of jam also came out slightlt runny. I know that some will thicken up in a week or two. If not you can always re-cook and add more pectin. I didn't re-do because I didn't want to waste the lids. I use jam in yogurt a lot. I buy plain yogurt and just flavor it with my own jams.

Country Girl said...

Thanks Cheryl. I considered doing that but instead I will just use it a little differently.

Thanks HB for the resource. I will check it out!

Noreen Thanks. I have just about all the ingredients in that recipe. Liked her blog too!

icebear said...

I'm with Sheryl... the Lilac Wine sounds like a fine idea!

Off to find a recipe i can duplicate. :o)

Anonymous said...

Lovely, we get a whiff of our Korean lilac bush when we step out our back door.

Amy

Wanting What I Have said...

I am so glad you left a comment so I could link back to your blog. What a fun life you guys lead! I'm looking forward to reading more...and those lilacs...wow!

Little Messy Missy said...

Hahaha, I just made chocolate swirl banana bread! I love Lilacs especially after the rain!

Wanting What I Have said...

photoshop. :)

Lehua of MauiFarmlet said...

I found your blog and you guys are an inspiration to us here in Maui, Hawaii! From building chicken pluckers to making jams, we are trying to do it all here in our slice of paradise - but we are starting from ground zero knowledge base, so finding your blog has been wonderful. Mahalo nui!