Thursday, March 5, 2009

1 Year of Blogging & Finding Balance

After we bought the farm I started doing some research on-line and came across many farming blogs. I thought to myself, "I can do that." I LOVE taking pictures and could use the practice. I also noticed that many of my friends and co-workers were very inquisitive of our lifestyle so THAT IS HOW THIS BLOG BECAME. Over the last year I have learned SO much from other bloggers and I have enjoyed sharing our new adventure here on the homestead. In this year I have had a few blog friends sadly delete their blogs and disappear from cyberworld and I have had a few question if they should blog on. Although I have only been at it for a year, the two notions have never crossed my mind. I will admit it has taken me some time to find that balance. Like any hobby it can be consuming as you let it be. I happen to be a computer junkie and it is the base of everything I do from paying bills, reading the news, cooking, working with my pictures and blogging. Over time I have realized, I just can not keep up with all the wonderful blogs I want to read. I was up many nights past midnight trying to do that. Most I only check in on periodically and get caught up. I have learned , I cannot post x amount of times a week. I post when I can. I never stress about the topic of my next post. Something always comes to me and I post when time allows. I have received many awards in this last year and I GREATLY appreciate. I have since decided that as I often lack time I will not accept (other than a BIG THANK YOU) or pass them along. (Because frankly YOU ALL DESERVE them) Instead from time to time I will take a moment to recognize some of my great blogging friends.

With that said thanks for following our journey for the last year. I appreciate all of my readers and I am always thrilled when I read my comments! BLOG ON!

I will end with some random recognition to a few blogs I follow.

2 nights ago as I was catching up on a few blogs as I discovered that Sallie @ A homestead Heart lost her husband of 30 years, my heart goes out to her.


I have followed Nie Nie's blog since just after her plane crash in which she and her husband were severely burned and the pilot passed. She is a young mother of 4. It has been a humbling experience to read her post.


On a lighter note my buddy from nursing school, City Girl just started a blog. I encourage you to go check it out!



And that is it for now folks. Off to do some MUCH needed domestic duties and then take some ducklings on a field trip to Leah's classroom.

What is wrong with this picture?

18 comments:

Jennifer said...

Loved the duck and cat pictures! I have felt torn about the awards too. On one hand I so appreciate them, I really do! Every one that has been passed on to me has just made me happy and made my day! On the other hand, it takes a lot of time to link to do all those blogs when you get several in the same week. I don't want the person that passed it on to me to feel like I did not appreciate it, because I do but I also don't want to make someone else feel obligated or burdened by it. You know what I mean. That is why when I have passed them on I try to remember to say "No obligation" so the person knows it will not bother me at all if they choose to ignore it. I like your idea of recognizing some blogs, no obligation once a month or so. I might have to "borrow" that idea if you don't mind.

Jennifer said...

Congratulations on your one year anniversary! I've been out of cyberworld for awhile and I'm looking forward to catching up on your blog to see what's been going on around the farm.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your blogiversary Kim!! I'm so happy you decided to join the fray! :) And those are some very worthy lessons to have learned about this blogging business. I'm looking forward to another year reading about you, your family and your adventures!! :)

Anonymous said...

Good post and happy 1 year blogging anniversary to you Kim!

YD, sometimes with ♥June and ♥Angel Samantha said...

Happy Blogiversary Kim!
I have enjoyed every visit to your blog and I look forward to many more visits!

Amy said...

Oh those fuzzy ducklings are so cute! Kitty looks like he's waiting for lunch to arrive!

Congratulations on your first year. I too have learned so much from other bloggers. It's such a great way to share information. I wouldn't dream of closing my blog either. Like you said, it takes as much time as you want it to.

citygirl said...

Has it been a year already? Gosh...time flies! So, congratulations on all your success both on the blog and on the farm!

I would be sad if you stopped posting...I always love checking in to see what is going on. Same goes for PIE at Wicked Awesome Parenting for the much needed dose of parenting humor!

I will admit, I have already gotten "cold feet" about blogging. But I will take your sage words under advisement. Thanks for the mention!

Linda said...

I think your duck picture is neat!! The cat picture is wicked funny!! I too can relate to having to find a balance with blogging and even being online. I too am a junkie when it comes to the internet. I am on every day but I have been limiting myself and trying not to let it consume me. I try to play catch-up on reading blogs but also fine that hard to. SO, I understand. :)

GreyWolf said...

Thanks for a year of great fun. Looking forward to many more.

Leasmom said...

I've really enjoyed your blog. Take your time! We're not going anywhere.

Welcome To Wilmoth Farms said...

Man are those ducks cute or what!!!!??? I feel like you have read my mind with this post! DITTO on the awards...love them, make my day...but hard to fit it all in! Again - GREAT post!
Rachel

goatgirl said...

Happy One Year Blogging! I have really enjoyed your blog this past year and seeing a part of the beautiful state of Maine where my husband's family came from and I am sure I'd like.
This post really hit home with me.

Queenie said...

congratulations on your blogiversary! I have enjoyed popping in for my daily visit to your farm. Having raised all six of my children on a farm but no longer living on one now myself, I love the images and photos. Keep up the great work of promoting Maine agriculture!

Paula said...

I love the pictures- and congrats on your blogiversary! I always enjoy stopping by your place for a visit!

warren said...

Congratulations on the 1 year mark! I am glad you have found balance and are sticking with it! I like the read!

jenn said...

Happy Blogiversary! I think you have struck on a very sensible balance. Blogging (writing and reading them) can so easily become a time-suck. I've come to some of the same conclusions: not posting just to post, not allowing myself to get too caught up in the award and meme circuits, etc.

LOVE the kitty in a tree pic!

~gail~mooselovingmamabear said...

Happy Blogiversary! Your pictures are amazing and I loved reading..Take Care..

Country Girl said...

THANKS FOR ALL THE FEEDBACK! I APPRECIATE ALL YOUR KIND COMMENTS.


JEN, YOU ARE MORE THEN WELCOME TO "BORROW" THAT IDEA. IT IS NO MY ORIGINAL AS I SEE OTHERS DO IT.

JEN, YOU ARE ONE OF THE ONES I HAVE BEEN WONDERING ABOUT. I WENT TO FIND YOU BLOG ONE DAY AND YOU WERE GONE :( GLAD YOUR BACK I WILL BE OVER TO VISIT SOON!

FM, THANKS. GLAD I HAVE SUCH GREAT MENTORS ;)

CG, YOUR WELCOME