Sunday, October 19, 2014

No Can Pickles, Margaritas, Guns...heck ya!

 

IMG_9808r

Like most people I love pickles! I have canned them many times before. However, last year my pickles were an epic failure! I overcooked them or something because they came out way too soggy…..beyond edible.  Anyone that cans knows how bad that sucks.  Lots of work was put into growing those babies from seed, tending the endless amounts of weeds and insects trying to steal your precious goods, picking, cleaning, canning.  Damn!  Well this year my cucumbers did not do well and regardless I was stuck in Florida in the prime of Maine’s canning season.  Thankfully I was home in time to put up my favorite crop, tomatoes.  I was fortunate enough to make up lots of spaghetti sauce, canning some and freezing the last of it as that is the  lazy easy way out.

 
I like canning but honestly I’m all about making life easier!  Making this type of pickles is a tangible goal for anyone especially if someone gifts you the cucumbers. 10 minutes top to delicious pickles the whole family will enjoy…I promise!
This will make a half gallon
  • 4 1/2 cups of water
  • 3/4 cup of vinegar
  • 1/8 cup & 1 tablespoon of sea salt or kosher salt
  • 1/4 cup of sugar
  • 3-4 dill sprigs (or whatever you want I tend to use more)
  • couple cloves of garlic
  • several pickling cucumbers washed and sliced lengthwise
Mix first 4 ingredients, bring to boil, cool til warm and place in jar with remaining ingredients.  Cover with something breathable like cheese cloth or a tea towel for 3 days then refrigerate.

The first 2 batches I made NEVER made it to the fridge, we devoured them starting the day after I made them.  Batch 3 that Maine Man made has been in the fridge a couple weeks and are still very tasty.  Not sure what the shelf life is on these but I will definitely figure that out next garden season!




My kids are fortunate to have a good Papa that takes time out to teach them real life skills.

IMG_9818r
Practicing up so she can beat the boys!
IMG_9828r
 This is her third year she is able to go out hunting with her Dad.IMG_9832
On a final note I want to share with you a tried and true margarita recipe
This only makes a small amount but if you need, there are lots of conversion charts.
  • salt for rimming the glass
  • 1 1/2ounces tequila (blanco, 100% agave)
  • 1 ounce freshly squeezed lime juice
  • 1/2 ounce Cointreau (not Triple Sec)

1 comment:

warren said...

That shot will do...every time!