Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Homemade Pop

In my efforts to quit drinking “Swill” (diet pepsi) as Maine Man calls it I have been doing a fair share of experimenting with beverages.  It has taken me a year to get off the crap as I have slowly weaned myself.  I sound like a crack addict, hell I even had withdrawal symptoms.  Besides water, 1 cup a coffee a day and the occasional frosty, adult beverage  there is not much else I care to drink on a regular basis.  I miss the carbonation so for a special treat I made some  blueberry simple syrup as pictured above. The recipe is here if your interested.  Fill your glass with sparkling water then add a splash of simple syrup .  It is quite concentrated, so it does not require much.

Another recipe that is easy to make is this basic recipe:

In a small saucepan add 1 cup of water and 1 cup of organic cane juice (or sugar), add rinds of citrus.  I have used lime, orange, and lemons for the most part.  Sometimes just using one fruit and other times in combination.  Squeeze a couple of your desired fruit (lemons…etc) into the mixture.  Heat until sugar is dissolved, let cool then refrigerate.  I am not for sure of the shelf life of the simple syrup but I would guess 1-2 weeks.

1 comment:

doglady said...

I have been using 2/3 glass of sparkling water and 1/3 of cranberry juice. Not as sweet as your mix but very refreshing.