Thursday, October 25, 2012

Apple Wine Making:~day 13

Last month Maine Man and I listened to a presentation on wine making at the Common Ground Fair.  The guy that spoke was completely down to earth.  I did not catch his name but he was a tall, burly, long bearded gentleman.  His first words were “I’m gonna keep this real simple…..” and that is exactly what he did.  Here are the notes I took from the CGF.  The ending part I really did not catch so for anyone with wine making experience please feel free to pick up where I left off.  I will add your advice to my notebook.

Supplies:

  • 5 gallon bucket with cover
  • airlock
  • 5 gallons of cider
  • sugar
  • yeast (regular bread yeast is ok, you do not need any fancy wine yeast)

ratio

1.5 lbs sugar to 1 gallon of cider

1 teaspoon of yeast to 1 gallon of cider

Mix, keep at 70-85 degrees for fermentation

4-6 weeks alcohol will made

3-6 months wine will be clear

We did not have enough cider to fill the carboy so MM found a way to improvise as always.  He truly is my MacGyver!  He laughed when I showed him this picture and said “don’t use this technique at home.”

We plan to make a big batch next week  so any advice is welcomed!

2 comments:

rocking R rustics said...

wow.......I am surprised that the type of yeast does not matter.

warren said...

You do not need fancy wine yeast but bread yeast will not make as much alcohol as wine yeast will. The yeast works until the alcohol reaches a level that kills the yeast. Wine yeast is more tolerant and champagne yeast even more so...