Tuesday, August 17, 2010

New Life

Yesterday morning I went out to the barn to discover one of our Muscovy Mommas had hatched out 26 ducklings.
I couldn't believe my eyes! We have 3 adult females & 1 drake. This is our 4th hatching this season. The first one hatched 2, then 5, then, 4. 26 has to be a record ;) They are adorable. We never bore of new life on the farm.

Her way of letting me know I am getting a bit to close for her likings.


With a little time and effort she manages to cover them over quite well.
Have you ever heard of a duck hatching out so many babies?

8 comments:

hillybilly annie said...

they are so cute,looks like they are gonna be all white, I wish I lived closer I would take one off your hands

Tonia said...

How cute!! I am hopefully getting our muscovies this week sometime. I dont know if its ducks or drakes yet? Some one got them for their kids and decided to get rid of them..

Meagan said...

Wow! I have never heard of a hatching of so many. Our girl hatched 10 in what we think was her first hatching. I so love how they make great moms and watching the duckies grow up is so fun. Ours are growing their wing feathers now, it'll be fun to watch them learn to fly!

Judy T said...

26!! Wow, what an overachiever! But they are darling.
We're still working on my husband about chickens. We'll see...
Judy

DebH said...

what a fantastic Momma!! I had a turkey hatch 32 assorted...seems there were many turkey eggs...but alot more guinea eggs in the batch. Guineas are terrible mothers. Wasn't that a site when they were growing and see guineas following that big ole Turkey Momma! That is a big pile of hatchlings to cover though, seems Momma duck is making it work though! How Cool!!

Little Messy Missy said...

That is AWESOME!!!!

goatpod2 said...

We raise Muscovy ducks too! We've had one female hatch 27 though but we have more females and drakes than you do though.

Amy

katiegirl said...

Holy cow...26!!! That's awesome for one momma!