Monday, August 16, 2010

Chicken Stock


We eat chicken on average of once or twice a week. Since we have been raising our own chickens (the last 2-3 year) we've always froze most of them whole limiting our chicken variations to baked, rotisserie, or in the crock pot. After we eat and I pick whatever remaining chicken off I always place the remains (bones) in a ziploc in the freezer to eventually make up a chicken stock in my my crock pot. I fill my crock with a couple chicken carcasses, carrots, celery, onions, bay leaves, peppercorns & fresh or dried herbs and let it simmer over night. I'd keep some in the fridge for immediate use and freeze the remaining broth. The last batch of chickens Maine Man processed I asked that he would part them out. I had been really craving some boneless BBQ chicken. He parted out all but 3-4 of 20. I was left with lots of bones so I made up a humongous batch and canned chicken stock for the FIRST time ever. Woooo hoooo. The things that excite me!



Last year was my first year with a pressure canner. Before I had only processed food that only required open water bath such as pickles & relish. Confessions......I did not even dare eat the first batch of beets that I processed via pressure canner. The pigs have enjoyed them and nobody has contracted botulism ;) I think I am ok this year ;) I have also used the pressure canner to put up green beans for a first. Looking forward to doing a taste test with some of the green beans I've frozen.


This week I am on vacation so I hope to get a few posts in as I have been a little slack lately. We have absolutely NO plans so the week will be spent putting up harvest, planting fall crops, getting the kids ready for school (haircuts, etc..)


Off to pick tomatoes in the hoop house and make some spaghetti sauce. Enjoy your week!

4 comments:

small farm girl said...

Don't feel bad, I just learned how to use my pressure canner last year. I guess better later than never.

Joanna@BooneDocksWilcox said...

The chicken stock pot looks great. I've been slack blogging this summer too, I work at the office during the day, after I get home, I'm outside until dark, just love the summertime, and it's going by fast.

Little Messy Missy said...

I received a huge pressure canner last year at Christmas and just did my first batch of green beans. I am kinda scared to eat them!!! I still use the hot water method for most my canning jellies, jams, salsas etc. So if you don't hear from me in the future it is because I got botulism and died. ;o)

Laureli said...

Is your spaghetti squash almost white? Love the idea of cheese and butter- we like to substitute spaghetti squash (it's always orange), for spaghetti pasta (I feel less guilty eating a veggie): I use sausage for the meat and lots of garlic in the sauce.
I like your blog- you aren't preachy and readily admit your questions (like is a basket of potatoes a bushel?) This makes reading your experiences of real farming life much more real and accessible to someone like me, who's farm dreams are still all on paper.
Thanks for sharing!