This week he put it to use as we currently have an abundance of corn.
You can do the same work with a knife but I have a slight obsession with kitchen gadgets. Among other things.......magazines, books, bags, to name a few ;)
Cream Style Corn
- 12 ears of corn with kernels and juice removed. (If you do not have a cutter use a knife to cut and run the back part of the knife down the cobs to get some of the juice out)
- melt 1/3 cup of butter in a pan
- add corn & enough water to make a gravy consistency
- add 1 teaspoon of sugar, 1 teaspoon of salt and 1 teaspoon of pepper
- bring to boil and cook for 5 minutes
- simmer for 20 minutes = THE BEST CREAM-STYLE CORN YOU HAVE EVER EATEN....no joke!
I even had enough to freeze a couple containers.....we will be loving this in the dead of winter!
Not sure how you all cook Shepard's Pie but this is how I do it. The bottom layer I usually use a combination of cream style corn & whole kernel but in this case I made my own. For the next layer I sauteed some onions and cooked up some deer hamburg. The final layer is mashed potatoes (fresh red potatoes dug from the garden). On top a dab of butter with a handful of shredded cheese. Bake @ 400 for 30minutes.