Sunday, July 12, 2009

Back to Farming

A few shots of 3 of the 4 gardens we have. I did not get a shot of the pumpkin patch. These were from a couple weeks back. Not bad for almost a month worth of rain. This past June was the wettest on record so far. I think it rained 28 out of 30 days. Very devastating to Maine farmers! Fortunately we only lost several potato plants and some of our other crops were a bit set back.



Wanting to keep a yearly record of what we planted this season I will list what's growing:
basil
*thyme
oregano
*marjoram
cilantro
parsley
dill
*rosemary
*lovage
lettuce
*parsnips
squash (3 varieties)
zucchini
cauliflower
peppers (green and hot)
cukes (3-4 varieties)
pumpkins (3-4 varieties)
corn
turnip
potatoes (yukon and sweet)
peas
*kale
swiss chard
beets
green beans
edamame beans
cantaloupe
watermelon
gourds (*birdhouse, *snake, decorative)
broccoli
carrots
garlic (3 varieties)
onions (red & white)
tomatoes (3 varieties)


(The items with a * are plants we've never grown in the past. Last year was the first time I grew herbs. I regret not growing those years ago.)


Wow that is a lot when you write it all down. I am sure I have forgotten but I will add it as I think of it.


15 comments:

Ron said...

That's a real nice head of broccoli. We went from cool spring to hot summer almost overnight, had a few cool days lately and the broccoli spit out some heads, enough to justify planting it at least. :)

This year was our first planting herbs... same thing... why didn't we do this sooner? Mel just loves to grab a bunch and stick them in a cup of water in the house to use as needed.

Ron

Erica said...

Everything looks good from the pictures :) We have had some wonky weather here too and things seem to be coming in slowly but surely.

Anonymous said...

Your garden is looking a lot better than mine! The wet weather has been a real problem, mostly slugs but also just huge fast growth of weeds and too wet to weed.

At least (knock on wood) I don't yet have blight on my tomatoes, and I've mulched them so maybe that will help.

What kind of broccoli did you plant?

Country Girl said...

Ali, I have no idea. I must admit I am real bad at keeping track of that. We started it from seed, I do know that.

YD, sometimes with ♥June and ♥Angel Samantha said...

Love your list. Are you going to do something with those birdhouse gourd? I want to plant it but don't know what I would do with the gourds, I'm not good in arts and crafts.

warren said...

We've had one of the wettest seasons on record too...our garden is just shy of a mess though I am hoping that some good July heat will help! Anyhow, broccoli looks great!

Mandie said...

Your gardens look great and weed free. I have never grown broccoli but tried lettuce this year. We loved it, will be doing that again. We lost all of our potatoes due to the rain but plan to plant more for a fall harvest. Have a great day!!

Captain Hook and Lady Crochet said...

I am sooo jealious!

Elenka said...

Wow, that is a lot of stuff. The rain ruined more of my flowering plants, than the veggies. Swiss Chard and Beets need to be replanted, tho. Very few came up.

Throwback at Trapper Creek said...

The gardens look great, despite the bad weather you have had. A tribute to all your hard work!! :)

Jennifer said...

Great looking gardens you've got there. Herbs are a first for me this year,too.

Paulette said...

Wow,awesome garden! I'm sure it's a lot of work, but so worth it.

Anonymous said...

Your large garden looks really good! Nice to see everything green.

Country Girl said...

Thanks for all thew comments. We have been lucky in comparison to some.

Flower Girl said...

soooooooooooooo coooooooooooooool