Sunday, March 23, 2008

HAPPY EASTER

We had a great weekend with friends and family. The Easter Bunny was well prepared this year. It has taken me years to come to the conclusion that early planning allows me to have a greater appreciation for the holidays. On Saturday night as I was tucking Luke in that dreaded question was asked. "Is the Easter Bunny real?" I said, what do you think?" he said "Well...I know Santa is real because I saw his sleigh when I was looking out the window one night so I think he is real." We said no more.
Later that night as I was in a deep sleep and thought I was dreaming I was awakened with Luke tapping on my chest, it was 3 am and he was ready to get up, I sent him off to bed but as expected he was up at 5. I will say he was patient and waited for us all to get up. By 7 am we were all geared up and out side for a Easter Egg Hunt. This was the second year in the snow and our second year here on the farm. Later Easter morning we went to my brothers for lunch, ham dinner my favorite! I made a daffodil cake for a first, it was very good. The recipe comes from recipe.com
DAFFODIL CAKE
6 egg whites
1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
3/4 c. sugar
1/2 c. flour
1/8 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. lemon flavoring
Beat egg whites until foamy. Add cream of tartar and continue beating until eggs hold a point. Add sugar gradually and continue beating. Fold in flour which has been sifted with the salt. Add lemon flavoring. Pour into large ungreased tube pan.
YELLOW PART:
6 egg yolks
3/4 c. sugar
1/4 c. boiling water
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
Beat yolks until light and fluffy. Add sugar gradually and continue beating. Add flavoring, then alternate boiling water with the flour which has been sifted with the salt and baking powder. Mix smooth and place over white layer. Bake in moderate oven (350 degrees) for 45-55 minutes.
One issue, I think it is missing the lemon flavor and flour on the "yellow part" so I used the same amounts as called for on the "white part"
LEMON GLAZE FOR DAFFODIL CAKE
1 c. confectioners' sugar
1/2 tsp. grated lemon peel
1 tsp. lemon juice
About 2 tbsp. milk
1 drop yellow food color
Mix all ingredients until smooth. Spread on Daffodil Cake.
For the frosting I made a double batch because to me that is the best part!














Friday night Melissa, Jeff, Cam, and Abby visited. We had lasagna made with a few farm ingredients, batam eggs, zucchini, and deer meat (ok not quite a farm animal) It was nice to get together as always!

Annabelle is hoping there is some milk inside of that finger.


















To the left is my Big Brother Steve, Joni, Meagan, & Jillian

No comments: