Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Can’t Hide my Pride

Pictured above is Country Boy’s new house, so he calls it.  CB had plans to build a cabin with our farmer friend but unfortunately it never happened.  Myron did give him a nice little cook-stove, it just needs some clean up and a paint job.  CB already talks of waking up in the morning and cooking up eggs.  Thankfully he has a super dad that is helping him build this cabin.

Unbeknownst to me Maine Man was letting them leap off this tall building into the pool.  The day their tricks were revealed I was comforted by the fact that rescue was on a call just beyond our house. (joking but serious)  Anyway,  the picture below looks as though he was just barely going to clear the pool but I swear it was just the angle the shot was taken.

This post was intended to be about homeschooling.  With last year being our first I found that I was excited, unsure of myself, and a a bit overwhelmed. Through many trials and tribulations we made it through the school year willing to do it again.

One late night as I was surfing the WWW and I came across a blog of a homeschool coach about an hour South of here.  I decided this would be a great resource for both the kids and I.  A professional to help us prepare for the following school year, a teacher  to review our end of year portfolios and complete the paperwork that is required by the state of Maine, and a good resource person that is pro-homeschooling.  Anyway I made the leap and we met with her twice.  Our most recent visit with her was on Monday.  The kids presented their portfolios and talked to her about their school year and I went over some final plans for the 2012-2013 school year.  It was a great visit for all!  We will not see her again until next summer unless problems arise between now and then.  Well worth the cost of 2 visits!  Here is the e-mail I came home to last night.  Only edits are the names….

Hi CG,

I went to look at the writing site when I got home and found that I couldn’t remember the name of it. Usually I write things down, but I think I was distracted because there was so much to hear and talk about from Country Boy and Flower Girl. I was unusually inspired by my time with you and your two, hearing about and seeing the photographs from your year of homeschooling. I write and think a lot about what it takes to raise kids with sustained vitality, kids who can manage in the world as it is but be steadily in tune with what they’re best suited to. I saw so much of that in what they showed me and what they said, and in how they are with you and with each other.

So. Please send me the name of the writing site again and I will look today! And if you happen to get a moment, have a look at my blog later today; you’ll likely recognize the inspiration for the post.

Also, I’m hoping you’ll send me your mailing address so I can get a proper thank-you off to FG (and the rest of you) for her generosity with vegetables and carefully-chosen candy! (Tell her I’m still saving it for just the right moment.)

Best, HSC

That my friends absolutely made my day!

4 comments:

GreyWolf said...

Congratulations. I am so glad homeschooling is working out for your family. Keep up the good work.

LuckyRobin said...

Oh, what fun! I totally would have jumped off the roof and into the pool like that at that age. Hope the homeschooling goes well. I'm starting it up again with my youngest and I know what a delightful challenge it can be.

Unknown said...

You and John are amazing parents and your kids are living proof :)

warren said...

I love the cabin-diving board!