Saturday, April 9, 2011

What's all the Buzz About?

10 years ago if you told me I'd be taking a Bee Keeping class I would have laughed and probably made a few sarcastic remarks.

Amazing how much one changes in a decade!

These pictures were taken at Montshire Museum of Science when we visited Vermont.

I am taking a bee keeping class locally through Adult Ed. We have 1 more class to go and two days in the field come May. Should be interesting! I will definitely take my camera along on one of those field trips. I am not sure if I will start a hive this summer or next. We have had our share of financial setbacks this year and it is not cheap to get up and going. The only supplies I have so far are gloves, my farmer friend plans to build me a hive soon. I'd be willing to do this project with a friend and share the expenses & honey come fall but I've yet to find someone crazy enough to join me in this venture...lol. I never imagined how much is involved in the bee keeping process. They are AMAZING little creatures! I am hoping to incorporate them into Flower Girl's homeschooling adventure next year. This surely will be one heck of a Science lesson!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a friend and her husband that raise bees and they are bee keeping veterinarians too and they do workshops, etc. and we've had their honey before too, they have a lot of bees and hives and houses.

Amy

Judy T said...

Bees are on my list for next year! I'm starting my education now and have a class on May 2 that I'm really looking forward to. I still need to make some connections with local beekeepers though.
I'll be watching your progress.
Judy

Anna Gretta said...

You never cease to amaze me Kim !! Fascinating project and so good for the garden.
Hugs
Anna

Vegetable Garden Cook said...

Here's a video of our beehive, if you are interested. http://www.mysuburbanhomestead.com/eds-bees/

GreyWolf said...

I sure wish you lived closer because I am crazy enough....
I have been trying to convince my wife into letting me get some bees. But she has a fear of them that is almost a phobia.

goatgirl said...

Oh I want to do bees so bad. I, once again, wish we were closer. Can't wait to here more about your adventures in beekeeping.