Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Digless Potatoes

8.5 bushels this season! If I calculated correctly that is approximately 425lbs. We planted a few different types, even purple potatoes. I made french fries out of them the other day, the kids LOVED them! Maine Man used a different planting method this year. Instead of burying the spuds he applied a heavy layer of moist mulch on top and the potatoes grew up through. The mulch hay was recycled from the 40 something bales that served as insulation for our foundation of our old farmhouse this past winter. MM was pleased with his "digless potatoes" and plans to use this method again next year.


On a completely different note I have a question for my fellow bloggers. Have any of you ever used google AdSense on your blog or any other advertisement? Would love to hear others input on this!

6 comments:

Sheryl at Providence North said...

Wow! That's a good crop of potatoes! I have considered growing potatoes like this myself, planted in a trench and covered with just mulch. Maybe one day soon.

I have used AdSense on my blog. Never got a single penny from it.

katiegirl said...

Great job on the potatoes!!

And my sister and I used AdSense on our blogs. We'd click on each others' ads every day. Then we both got kicked out of the AdSense program because we were "too expensive" for the companies who place the ads. Oops. :-)

Everett said...

Do you put the bales around your foundation every year?

I have Adsense on some of my sites and I do pretty well with it. I couldn't pay all the bills with it, but it does pay for web hosting, domain name renewal and with a little left over for movies or dinner once in awhile.

Katiegirl,

People pay for those ads. By "clicking on each others" ads you are simply stealing. Would you steal from the grocery store? If not, you shouldn't steal from advertisers either. It drives up the price for everyone, even mom-n-pop stores just trying to make a living selling their product online.

YD, sometimes with ♥June and ♥Angel Samantha said...

Nice job on the potatoes!
I have heard of the hay method before and I might try it next year.

doglady said...

I did something similar last year with the pile of chicken house litter. I am going to do it again next year with added bunny doo and grass clippings. A very painless way to grow spuds on the rocky coast of Maine.

Vegetable Garden Cook said...

How many pounds of seed potato did you plant?

I haven't harvested my potatoes this year yet as they haven't died back yet. I can't do the hay method as it will create even worse breeding of slugs.

I have Adsense on my blog but only at the very end of the page.
www.amysoddities.blogspot.com