Saturday, April 6, 2013

Chemistry 101

FG made her first batch of soap last month.  She called it “Mint Magic”.  It came out better then the batch I made.  I am still a novice at soap making but since getting over my fear of the lye I finally welcomed her to join along.  It’s kind of like using a pressure cooker for the first time.  Scared as hell but once you’ve done it a couple times you feel more comfortable.

The kids like doing hands-on projects, so do I!  There is so much more then “book work” when it comes to schooling.  Don’t get me wrong, we do spend a decent about of time with our nose in the books.  Actually, we love books!  My son hated reading when he was in school.  Since we started homeschooling and he gets to read about topics he is most interested in he says it’s one of his favorite parts of the day.

This year we are way ahead of schedule and should be done most everything next month.  We are skipping April vacation with our eye on the prize.  The school year will be finished with some field trips including a trip to Boston via train.

The kids and their friends submitted applications to the Common Ground Fair to become part of the youth vendors.  We are looking forward to hearing back so that we can start making products.  FG and her friend plan to make and sell lip balm, soaps, lotions, and body spray.  CB and his cousins plan to make products of woods such as coasters and bird houses.  I am really hoping all works out for them, it will be a great experience for all and we have until September to prepare.

2 comments:

GreyWolf said...

Wow, so much fun on the farm. I hope their endeavors pay off at the fair.

doglady said...

I will look for them at Common Ground Country Fair. I have gone every year since before it left Windsor Fair Grounds.