Monday, March 25, 2013

Making liquid hand soap

A sneak peak at out latest addition to the farm!

I don’t know about you but I am always looking to create new things.  Some stuff I stick with and other stuff I’m just happy I know how to do in case some day I need to know.

I have been wanting to make liquid hand soap for a long time now.  I will confess I have been saving the ends of old bars of soap since we bought the farm (6 years ago).  They were stashed away so that Maine Man would not throw them away.

You could also make this with a new bar of soap but I like being resourceful and recycle.  If I was to give it as a present I would do that and maybe even doctor it up with some essential oils.   Either way you are saving a TON of money in comparison to buying liquid soap from the stores.

Easy Peasy…I made a half gallon first time around in case I failed but amazingly it was a success!

  1. Grate soap ends or bar with a cheese grater.  Approximately 1 cup
  2. Bring 1/2 gallon of water to a light boil
  3. Add soap and stir until shavings melt
  4. Cool down a bit then add 1 Tablespoon of glycerin
  5. Pour into container (I used a 1/2 gallon milk jug)

I found that the consistency was thinner then store bought liquid soap. But I do think it could be easily thickened by adding more glycerin if you felt it was necessary.  I am happy with the results especially the fact  that it cost almost NOTHING to make!

No comments: